Few people are blessed with certain qualities; technically and creative wise, of which their impact are always indelible in the minds of those they are serving.
No one wonder Dr. Mathew Okiri Okeyim, has become a cult-hero amongst many Cross Rivarians due to his unbias approach to issues affecting the state and result-oriented mindset that has pushed him one step above others in Government.
A sound educationist with lots of flare for positive transformations within his command anytime he’s called up to serve, Dr Okeyim’s zeal, resilience and tireless approach to life has enmarked him a man with ‘lion man’; yet, he’s still determine to rewrite his name in gold at any giving point in time.
Basically, Okeyim, who is the Special Assistant on Diaspora to Cross River State Governor, Ben Ayade, has carved an indelible name for himself with his well structured diplomatic approaches with neigbouring counties in Africa and globally.
A man hailed from Odajie Mbube in Ogoja Local Government of Cross River State and holds a first degree and Masters Degree in Political Science from the University of Ibadan respectively; Doctorate in Queen Mary University of London and the Universidad de Alicante San Vincent Del Raspeig, before becoming a lecturer at the Calabar Polytechnic, University of Calabar, University of Liberia, African Methodist Episcopal , and Kwazilo University.
Since his appointment on December 15, 2015, Dr Okeyim, who is married to a Dutch wife, has lived 15 years in Netherlands and has worked in many places including the Academia and News paper houses in the Netherlands.
Dr Okeyim since appointment has achieved the following:
ACHIVEMENTS SO FAR
– Dr Okeyim, on assumption office set up a data Bank of all Cross riverians across borders
– Dr okeyim,st up a communication link between the local Domain and the Diaspora
– Dr okeyim, has created a lee way and a window for foreign investors to come and invest in the state by stating the benefits of investing in the state
– Dr okeyim , as the envoy on foreign affairs has represented the state Government at the NIDO in Germany and Brussels in 2017
– Dr okeyim, has visited the Cameroun and Guinea Equatorial Consulate mediating for cooperation between the two countries in the areas of trade, development and cultural relations.
– Most fundamentally Dr okeyim, in May this year paid a courtesy call to the presidency where he ld talks with Hon Abike Dabiri Erewa Special Adviser the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria on Diaspora. The remains one of the greatest efforts Dr Okeyim has made where important very crucial matters were discussed for the interest of the people and government of Cross river state including Diaspora issues, Diaspora Bills, Diaspora upcoming events, and Foreign policy Analysis.
– Dr Okeyim, Diplomatic initiatives recently took him to UK, Spain and Italy . The visit to italky was triggered as a result of the meeting he had with Hon Abike Dabiri over the brutal murder of an indigene of CRS IN ITALY . The under age children of the deceased are now with the Italian authorities, but through Dr Okeyim’s diplomatic skills with the Nigerian Embassy and the Italian authorities the kids shall be released to the state government via the parents on humanitarian grounds.
– Dr okeyim, on the educational level he has continued to mediate between the state ministry of education and the Governor’s office for the welfare of our students in the Diaspora .
– Dr okeyim, Contributed greatly for the visit of the German, and South Korean Ambassador to the state for multilateral and Bilateral relations.
– Dr Okeyim has attracted 32 United Kingdom doctors to the state through the Aggiewinson medical voluntary organization in 2016. The medical group visited a couple local Governments in the state including Bakassi and Calabar municipal. The Location of the Hospital was at Army junction.
UP COMING EVENTS TO BE CARRIED OUT
– In conjunction with the Presidency DR okeyim is planning to organise a local Diaspora conference the first of its kind in the Month of August 2018. The essence of the seminar is intimate Diaspora within and across borders on our activities so far since we came on board and the way forward.
Secondly, we intend to engage on active public enlightenment campaign on the active participation of Diaspora in the home government through policy formulation and initiatives. Diaspora is part of the local Domain so there is the need to give them a voice in the administration of the State
-Diaspora Building, we intend to build a Diaspora building where all Diaspora activities shall be taking places. The Diaspora building shall be housed in the Diaspora village, The Diaspora village is going to be a domain where all Diaspora investments and homes shall be located.
-Diaspora to vote during elections within and across borders.